Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Just Do It

This poem from Mother Teresa has circulated quite a bit...does it look familiar?

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered;

Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

I have seen this a million times and have always really liked it but tonight I was watching the videos from the Brave Girls Club "Soul Restoration" classes and this week's lesson was all about "doing it anyway." I can't tell you how much this resonated with me and I really thought it was such a valuable life lesson! Our problems, obligations, weaknesses, etc don't necessarily go away. They may be changed or replaced but something is always there and I love the idea of just "doing it anyway." This is a lesson I need so badly to incorporate into my life--I'm the queen of procrastination and quitting things when they're hard or no longer "fun" and that really serves nothing but to give myself more ammunition against me. I'm excited to work on just "doing it anyway" whether I succeed 100% or not. I can get up when I fall down--I'm capable of that.

I have LOVED these Soul Restoration classses. Not only have I been reminded of beautiful things that I already knew but I have found ways of expressing myself through art, something I never thought I'd ever do. I'm no artist (unless of course Ambien is involved) but I have really learned to express what I think and feel through art--especially imperfect art. This is something I was afraid to do but that I "just did." I'm so glad I did it!

This week my homework is to compile a list of excuses that hold me back from being...whatever. From being amazing, capable, beautiful, a great wife, a good mother, a good friend and neighbor. I have a million excuses and while some of them seem truly valid I know that I need to just do it anyway. At the end of the day, I know I'll be glad I did it.

So--my friends, family and Internet crazies--what is holding you back? from being happy? From paying off that debt? From having that conversation you know you need to have but are afraid to? FROM GETTING OFF THE COMPUTER AND GETTING SOMETHING DONE--Going to the park with your kids, scrub your toilets, fold a load of laundry, forgive someone. Serve someone. Your efforts might not be perfect 100% of the time, but they're YOUR EFFORTS and that is enough. What are you doing today that you have put off for one reason for another? Post  a comment telling me what your excuse is and what you'll do to overcome it anyway. Example: I've taken Ambien and my thoughts are muddled and my back has these crazy shooting pains...But I feel strongly that some of you friends/families (and hey, maybe even Internet crazies) need to read this. So I blog posted anyway. I'll give each of you who comment a nifty gifty. Although I'm drugged on Ambien right now so you'll have to remind me that I promised it.

Example #2: I want to stay up and blog and check my Facebook until my eyes are crossed but tomorrow I don't want to wake up with my dead phone on my face and a failed game of "Bubble Birds" paused so I am going to bed anyway.

Be brave, my friends! If you haven't already signed up for the daily emails, please do it. You'll love it!

1 smart remarks:

Winter1901 said...

You know it's funny. Here you are talking about your excuses and you have made me snap out of it a few times when I was caught on my excuses. Thanks! You are one tough broad :)