Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What Do You Do in the Summertime? (Part Deux)

Last year, I posted a big fat list of things for my kids to do during the summer. I had a jar that said, "I'm Bored" and I put little slips of paper in the jar with these activities. I also had another jar that said, "We Did That!" that we put the slips in when we were done. It was really fun and we did a lot of great things.
I wanted to do something similar this year, but didn't want to do the same thing. Something about variety being the spice of life, or whatever. So a couple of months ago, I pinned this from Pinterest.

 I just really liked the idea of the themed days so my kids know what to look forward to during the week. Now, we're going to be gone a lot this summer, vacationing and dancing at Basque festivals and stuff, so I only planned stuff during the week. And it's helpful that every Tuesday is Library day. Not only because it involves less planning on my part, but because our kids read voraciously and we will NEED to go weekly just to keep them busy when they've finished their books!
Also, there's something else that I'm really excited about this summer. (To be read in your best "proud mom" voice) Jack came home from school a few weeks ago talking about a book he'd read about a girl in Florida who raised enough money to buy bullet proof resistant vests for all of the K9 dogs in the state. He thought this was awesome and wanted me to call our friend who works for a neighboring police department to find out if their dog needs a vest and if so, he wants to sell sno-cones in front of our house to raise money. I was so touched that he would want to do that! He said, "They keep us safe, Mom. So we need to keep them safe too!" Then he decided that he would call his endeavor "Sno-Cones for Safety." Who is this kid? Love him! So we contacted our friend who got permission from the Chief and we are going to do this! The dog DOES have a vest, but they can always use money for training, food, etc. so we're going forward. If you would like to make a donation to Jack's "Sno-Cones for Safety" campaign email me your info at jackjacksmom@gmail.com and I'll tell you how you can donate if you're too far away to stop by for a sno cone. So every Thursday (Thoughtful Thursday), we'll be selling Sno Cones to raise money for Delta, their K9. Can't wait!
So here is the list of things we have planned for this summer..


MAKE SOMETHING MONDAY


WHAT'S COOKING WEDNESDAY

  • Kool Aid Playdough
  • Pigs in a Blanket
  • Ice Cream in a Bag
  • Microwave Strawberry Jam
  • Marshmallow Caramel Popcorn
  • Cinnamon Rolls
  • Homemade Frosties
  • Monkey Bread Muffins
  • Octopus hotdogs
  • Mozzarella Sticks
SOMEWHERE FUN FRIDAY
  • Discovery Gateway
  • Roy Splash Pad
  • Kangaroo Zoo
  • Dollar Theater
  • Police Station (we'll do this after our last day of selling sno-cones so we can give Delta the money we've raised)
  • Fire Station
  • Construction Company (this is still a work in progress..I need to find a company that will let Jack visit and sit in their big diggers and stuff. This is his version of Graceland!!)
I also wanted to do something to reward good behavior so I'm thinking of doing the whole "put a marble in the jar if you're good, take it out if you're not" thing and giving them a reward at the end of the week if they have a certain number of marbles. Good behavior will be rewarded with marbles, and days spent without any sort of video/computer games will be rewarded with 2 marbles. Here are some rewards I've come up with:
  • Sleep out on the trampoline
  • Have a "late night over" with a friend
  • Wet sponge fight
  • Go to the movies
  • Roy Aquatic Center
  • Surf N Swim
  • Clearfield Aquatic Center
  • Play in the sprinklers
  • Take a family member to lunch
  • Roast marshmallows
  • Have ice cream sundaes for dinner
  • Play at Boondocks
I'm thinking these will just be in a jar and they can pick the activity out if they earn it.

We'll still have the jars available for the "I'm bored" moments, especially if I have something to do and can't entertain them but I'm pretty excited to do some of this stuff this summer! I can't wait for school to get out!!!

1 smart remarks:

Focal Point Photography said...

So I just typed out this long comment and then deleted it..I think ..so if this posts twice so sorry.
I think this is all amazing! I particularly enjoy the Sno Cones for Safety bc my husband is a K9 officer and his dog Trus is so special to him and our family. He truly loves his job and protects my husband and so many other. Kudos to Jack and the amazing kid he is! If he needs any help I know Kaplan and Parker (my 4 and 2 year olds) would love to give him a helping hand anytime!