Wednesday, July 18, 2012

..And a little child shall lead them. Or, Bwaaa! (snort!) (sniff!) gaaaaa (sniff!)

These are the sounds I'm making as I sit at my computer and cry because I'm just so dang grateful! I know it sounds so hokey but when Jack came home and told me he wanted to sell snocones to raise money for Delta I didn't think I could be more proud. However, now seeing that so many people--people we don't even KNOW are catching a glimpse of this AMAZING kid that he is makes my mommy heart so full all I can DO is cry. So thank  you friends, family and Internet Crazies. Thank you for supporting my sweet son in this project that he has been working so hard on and that matters so much to him.
This has been something our whole family has worked on. It's brought us closer together and it's been really fun. It has taught Jack some great lessons that a lot of 7 year olds would benefit from learning--he's learned to communicate as he's had to explain to people what he is doing and why. He has practiced his letter-writing skills as he's written thank-you cards to people who have donated via PayPal. He is learning about sacrifice as he sits in the sun in the middle of the afternoon making snocones instead of being in the air conditioned house conquering the next level of Lego Batman. These are such great lessons and those of you who are donating and spreading the word are teaching him that people care and when he makes good choices, those choices can influence people he doesn't even know. I don't know that we alone as parents could ever teach him these lessons and this is what makes me cry. Thank you for being good people. For sharing Jack's story, for making donations but really most of all, for helping Delta. Police dogs DO keep us safe and we SHOULD do something to keep her safe. Thankfully she already has a Kevlar vest but we're so honored to be able to help with the cost of her maintenance. I don't know that our $300 will go terribly far, but it is enough to show that we appreciate her and her partner, Officer Glommen. One of my heroes was a police officer who was shot and killed in the line of duty and so safety is something that is VERY close to my heart. How blessed we are that we have a little sno cone machine so we can help, we have neighbors who donate materials and who come buy sno cones, that we have friends and family who support us by spreading the word and donating and that Internet Crazies have heart enough to help a 7 year old kid learn something I hope he will never forget.

Here are some shots of him getting his SnoCone on:



1 smart remarks:

Mary said...

Love, love, love.