Saturday, December 10, 2011

Euskaldunak

My grandfather came to America from a small village in Northern Spain called Amoroto. I've been there--it's teeny tiny but it is beautiful. Surrounded by green fields with wildflowers growing by the road and only a handful of buildings..I looked at those few buildings and wondered, "In which one did he live?" I loved visiting Basque country and felt like I had come home while I was there. (Scott marveled at "an entire region of people who look like, and are loud like YOU!") The people were so kind and friendly, the architecture was gorgeous and the culture is beyond rich.
Maybe you don't know where Basque people are..I could explain it all but it would take a long time and I'm tired. You can read this article to learn more. (Side note: I've seen this tree of which they speak--Guernica is a lovely city with a wonderful pub owner who lived in New York for awhile and can make an awesome grilled-cheese sandwich for a poor girl visiting Europe while 8 weeks pregnant and sick as a dog!)
Here's my point. I love my heritage. I am so proud of it and I feel such a strong pull to it. My Grandpa died before I was born and my family really doesn't do anything Basque. A few days ago, I read my children the story of Olentzero and I felt so ashamed that they know nothing of Basque culture. Heck, I know nothing of Basque culture, really. And yet, I feel pulled to it. I feel this longing to know more about the heritage that makes me who I am. I have few regrets, but one of them is that I didn't take the opportunity to spend MORE time in Basque country. Gosh, I wish I would have done that while I could have. Wouldashouldacoulda, right?
In the meantime, I'm going to pay my yearly dues to the Basque club of Utah and go to a few functions where I'll be extremely uncomfortable because A. I won't know anybody and they're a super tight-knit group and B. Because I'm Mormon and they're all Catholic and while that doesn't necessarily bother anyone on either side, there are some awkward social differences that I'm going to need to work through.
Anyway, I'm the girl who does things I've always wanted to do, right? Okay then. To the Basque club it is. I may even learn how to dance!

3 smart remarks:

Steph said...

Just so long as you learn to make Basque bread and teach me. I am all for it!! I had some recently in Idaho, of all places, and I LOVED IT!!

Norma =^.,.^= said...

I know exactly how you feel. When I was in Germany, I finally had this feeling of belonging. It's so hard to describe - just this, "ahhh...here I am...I'm home" that was deep down in my soul. Kinda freaked me out - I wasn't expecting an inner homecoming.

mamaerica said...

The only thing I know about Basque culture is the food. My dad LOVES pickled tongue and can probably point you to every Basque restaurant in the West. Or, well, Nevada at least. LOL! If you find a recipe for the wonderful basque beans we had at a restaurant in Sparks, I'd love it! :-)