Friday, September 24, 2010

I've lost my ever-lovin mind...

Remember how the 5K I ran was the worst experience of my life? Well, after toying with the idea of running a 10K (because I'm a total moron) I signed up today for a 10K on Thanksgiving Day. (I just realized the graphic has the wrong year on it. How funny!) I ran this morning and was able to make it 4 miles so for some reason that made me think I could run 6 miles in like 2 months. Sigh. This is what I'm going to do differently so that I (hopefully) have a better experience:
1. I'm doing it alone. I'm hoping if I do it alone, I won't gauge my performance against anyone else's. Music is very motivating to me. (I'm not going to lie that even though it is F-Bomb laden, pretty much anything by Eminem is amazing to run to!!) If I'm alone, I won't feel bad about cranking it up, zoning out and just going for it. I won't have to keep up with anyone else and we'll see if it helps.
2. While I AM going to train by running 3 times a week and I'm hoping to be able to run 7 miles by then, I am giving myself permission to walk if I need to. I don't care if I finish behind the chubby couple, the lesbians AND the 90 year old woman. I just want to finish it.
3. I'm going off the sauce. Yep. You heard me. Pas de Cherry Coke between now and then. Last time I attempted this adventure, I still ate like crap. I'm going to take care of me for the next 2 months and see if that improves my performance.
Now, it's no Ragnar (I REALLY want to do a Ragnar, but need to feel like I could actually contribute to a team first!) but it's a start and it's something to work towards. Wish me luck. And bring me medication. I'm going to need both.

3 smart remarks:

Mary said...

Good for you, babe-a-licious.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Way to go Peggy! If you are out running on Thanksgiving morning, you won't have to be at home watching the Lions loose again. About that music thing, after five miles, Eminem won't be the only one dropping F bombs. I think.

Peggy said...

Joe, you seriously crack me up. It's funny because it's true!